MARIA CHIARA WANGART CRITIC AND CURATORBIOGRAPHY
Born 1981, I live and work in Bologna. Following studies of the humanities, since 2017, I devote myself to contemporary art as a critic and a curator. I write regularly for art journals and I work for independent exhibition spaces, galleries and institutions, in Italy and abroad. I also make appearances at festivals and art fairs as a contributor to talks and panel discussions.STATEMENT
Art and Writing: passion and necessity, ‘happy island’ and refuge.
These are the two poles between which my thoughts, my horizons, move.
My entry into the world of contemporary art is 'late': my path as an independent critic and curator began in 2017, about fifteen years after the end of my humanistic studies. The return to art and writing was a need that at that time I was no longer able to repress and that turned into a new path.
I started with street art and then widened my gaze to the wider panorama of contemporary art and its various languages: painting, sculpture, installation, photography, performance, until I reached - to the present day - the sphere of digital art.
The pandemic has heightened my curiosity about this form of expression and creativity and accelerated my approach to its studio. Currently, in addition to consolidating the knowledge and skills acquired so far, I am devoting myself to a series of in-depth studies on issues related to the world of digital art: ecological impact, surveillance, meta-reality, data control, ... through comparison with the different actors in this scene: artists, curators, gallery owners, institutions.
My reflections on the art world are usually enriched by philosophical and sociological-anthropological readings and research.
Writing is my way of reorganizing thoughts, information collected and fixing them on 'paper'.
Where Art is the subject, Writing is the method.TRAINING2020Modern Art and Ideas –
MoMa Certificate - https://www.coursera.org/account/accomplishments/certificate/PT33PQMD6XTWWhat’s Contemporary Art
– MoMa Certificate - https://www.coursera.org/account/accomplishments/certificate/96CR7H474SDV
Seeing Through Photography
– MoMa Certificate - https://www.coursera.org/account/accomplishments/certificate/5A4GAFLSJC8YMuseums and Society
– UniBo Certificate - https://book.unibo.it/certificates/61aad9e42e8e49c2bedb96ba383e7460Semiotica dei Nuovi Media
– UniBo Certificate - https://book.unibo.it/certificates/88ec331b8fb746629638c0e44831bdfb2004
Four-year Degree in Modern Literature
Thesis title: What colour is the sea? The representation of liquid spaces in medieval mappae mundi.
Thesis supervisor: Prof. Stefano Torresanihttps://storicamente.org/wangCURATORIAL PROJECTS2020DEFLAGRAZIONE,
works by Vincenzo D’Argenio SENAPE Vivaio Urbano (BO)
by Elena Ascari, Hangar Rosso Tiepido (MO)Curatio Vulneris
, works by Vale Palmi and Alena Tonelli, CRAC – Castelnuovo Rangone Arte Contemporanea (MO)Booth at BOOMing Contemporary Art Show
(BO), works by Vale Palmi and Laura Fortin, Galleria Rizomi (PR).Concrete
, collective photographic exhibition on urban portrait, Studio Bordin (BO)2019Trasformazione
, co-curator with Oscarito Sanchez, works by Sofia Cruz Rocha, Oscar Cueto, Manuela Picallo Gil, Vale Palmi and Laura Rambelli, Faro Arte (Marina di Ravenna - RA)NOWhere
, co-curator with Giovanni Avolio, works by Giulio Cassanelli, Mirò Architetti (BO)I Grandi Liberi
, performance by Vale Palmi, Hinterland Galerie (Wien - AT)2018DUM.BO
, works by Gian Luca Beccari, Angelo Bellobono, Giorgio Bevignani, Davide Bramante and Massimo Giacon, Galleria Contemporary Concept (BO)CRITICAL TEXTS2020Local, Golabl o Local? Analisi del rapporto tra Arte e Territorio Modenese dagli anni ’70 ad oggi,
collective contemporary art exhibition, Palazzo Piella – Castelfranco, Palazzo Ducale – Pavullo nel Frignano, Torrione Medievale – Castelnuovo Rangone, (MO)
L’Eterno Presente dell’Arte -
collective exhibition, A60 Contemporary Art Space (MI)Pubblicittà – Lost&Found
- urban project catalogue, Serendippo (BO)2019Breaking Bounderies
– personal by Teresa Margolles, Kunsthalle Krems (AT). Catalogue Ed. Hirmer (ISBN 978-3-7774-3484-1)Theatrum Mundi
– works by Simone Pellegrini and François Burland, Galleria Gliacrobati (TO) and Galleria Rizomi (PR)The Flag Relocation
– works by Francesco Di Giovanni, MLB Home Gallery (FE) and Fondazione Sandretto Re Rebaudengo (CN). Catalogue ‘Da Guarene all’Etna 2019. Boiling Projects’, Ed. Skira (ISBN 978-88-572-4222-4)No Time03 con i piedi per terra
– work by Minus Log, Blooming Festival (Pergola - PU)R-esistenza
– works by Alessio Bolognesi, Galleria Portanova 12 (BO)Creatività Dissidente
– collective exhibition, Street Levels Gallery (FI). Catalogue ‘Dildo’Sylvie Selig
– works by Tommaso Buldini and Sylvie Selig, Galleria Rizomi (PR), at SetUp Contemporary Art Fair (BO)Out of the Aeons
– works by Cosimo Veneziano, Galleria Alberto Peola (TO) at Fruit Exhibition (BO)Paradisi Artificiali 01 + Sileno
– works by Gian Luca Beccari, SetUp Plus (BO)2018Missione a colori, II Vol
. Catalogue ‘Vedo a Colori – Street Art al Porto‘ (Civitanova Marche - MC)2017Corpi
– works by Giuseppe Barilaro, Kwangwoo Han and I Santissimi, Art In Gallery (MI)TALKS2020
Instagram e FB Live streaming, with Aurelia Nicolosi, Marilina Giaquinta and Francesco Di Giovanni, @KOARTgallery (CT)2019Stanze Notturne Digitali
, with Maurizio Finotto and Gian Luca Beccari, MAAD – Museo Arte Adria Delta (RO).Arte e Rigenerazione Urbana
, with Giovanni di Iacovo, Mister Thoms, Alessandro Pompei, Daniela Santroni, Massimiliano Scuderi, Smake, Behance Portfolio Review (PE)Vedo a Colori. Un Documentario al Porto
, with Giulio Vesprini, Fruit Exhibition (BO)La memoria, il cibo e la città
, with Cosimo Veneziano, Fruit Exhibition (BO)2018Today’s Special
– II Edition, with Cosimo Veneziano, Matteo Bergamini, Paola Bonino, Marco Scotti, Elena Forin (PR)MAGAZINE CONTRIBUTIONS
Articles published from 2017 to date
: on Exibart (paper and online), SMALL ZINE (paper and online), DArteMA (online), Objectsmag (online):